Thursday, December 10, 2009

Inconceivable

"I do not think that word means what you think it means." - The Princess Bride

Conversate.

It is not a word.

I don't care how many times you use it, be it written or spoken, it is not a word. I looked. Again. It is considered slang - at best. The verb you are looking for when you foolishly say that you need to "conversate" with someone? Is simple.

Its CONVERSE.

Let this be a lesson that whenever you attempt to make yourself seem smarter or more literate by making a word longer, the exact opposite occurs.

4 comments:

  1. The word that gets me is verbiage, as in: We need to refine the verbiage of the ad. In most cases, one could substitute "text" or "copy", which doesn't fit the definition of the excessive and often meaningless use of words, or wordiness. I had to look it up, because I didn't think it was a real word.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh boy. did we have a lot of talks about VERBIAGE at nwa. . . . yuck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore the people who like to do their conversating "offline" while they "touch base." They are clearly the ones who should be in charge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Verbiage is, to this day, a word that I despise. How it is really a word confounds me to no end.

    ReplyDelete